Sometimes it is best to keep it simple, and when it comes to baking your own cakes, if you are not an expert, the simple ones are often the most effective. If you want to make an impact on your family and friends, you are a lot better doing a well baked simple cake than messing up a very complicated one. We love the simple ones, so we wanted to share with our readers an incredibly simple cake that you can make at home. Classic cakes done well will always be a fan favourite, and you wont need many ingredients to get baking this family favourite. If you want to impress your friends and family, this is the cake for you!
The simple vanilla cake never fails to impress and will go down a treat, so get your oven on and your mixing bowls out!
The Ingredients You Will Need
- 200 grams of margarine or softened butter
- 200 grams of caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200 grams self raising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch or salt
The Method to Follow
- Preheat the over to 180C. Grease a nice round cake tin with some of your butter or margarine and cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the base of the tin.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with a spoon or a mixer for one minute. The mixture should be just combined so stop once its smooth, don’t over beat it!
- Spoon your mixture into the tin and smooth it over. Place your tin on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes. The cake should look well risen and nice and golden when it is done.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes before gently running a knife around the edge, then turn the cake onto a wire rack for cooling. You can then decorate your cake with icing sugar.